thoughts that challenge the status quo of modern, western christianity

Friday, November 21, 2008

Home Sweet Home

When I minister in other countries, there is this barely perceptible, but yet real emotional/psychological thing that happens when I return. It seems that when I arrive back at the first major US airport, there is this sigh and relaxation that passes through me.

After much thought, I believe it is not just because I am going home, but I have arrived back in the US. This is where my citizenship is, this is where I have certain freedoms and rights. In other countries, we are not always sure of all the laws and rights/freedoms people have. I have to remember, I am a visitor in those countries.

Paul tells us that our “citizenship…is in heaven” (Ph 3:20 ISV). As a citizen of the spiritual realm of the Kingdom of heaven, where should I find I feel the most at home? Now I know we must exist in this present world, but how comfortable are we? I enjoy learning the cultures of other lands. I constantly ask why? What does that mean? Yet, I know that in many of those situations, it is not as significant to me as to those who are born and raised there. There is this awareness that I am not of that culture. I am a visitor there.

In my daily life, I must remember that I am an emissary or ambassador of another kingdom, which is where I should feel the most comfortable.

Food for thought – when do you feel the most at home? When immersed in the culture of the world? Or in the culture of the kingdom?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings Martin in Jesus name

Thank you for visitng my blog the other day, and adding your comments. Thank you too for your blog posts, yes we have dual citizenship and what a blessing.I like your thought at the end also, 'where do you feel most at home' in the culture of the world or the culture of the kingdom?' This is powerful. (I love writers who can make you 'think and seek'..you are doing this!)

In my travels I have discovered that my real brothers and sisters are those who I have communion with. A (common uniom) This is more powerful than natural blood ties and I find I cannot have this level of 'communion' with those not in God's family even though they are related to me in the flesh.

So my 'brother' thanks for your 'communion' and communication. It's awesome. People like you Jesus said are our real brothers.

God richly bless you in all you do and may this new years ahead be inedeed a new fresh and living season for you.

Brother Paul
Apostolic Blog

ps ill place a link on my blog to yours.

David Dominguez said...

Thank you for this post, and reminder. If we are completely at home in this world, to the point of being afraid to leave, there is a problem. I look forward to returning to your blog!