thoughts that challenge the status quo of modern, western christianity

Thursday, November 20, 2008

What Do You Smell Like?

We have all experienced this: we can tell when a certain person is about to enter our space because we smell their cologne or perfume before they arrive. I know, you are probably thinking about someone right now (maybe recalling their fragrance). It seems in our lives, this fragrance becomes identified with this particular individual.

This makes me wonder, how do I smell? No I do not mean my cologne (in fact, I have had many compliments on my cologne). Paul tells us “we are the sweet fragrance of Christ,” that is evident in the lives of those around us, both “saved” and those “perishing.” We have a spiritual perfume or cologne that is noticed by those around us.

I remember, years ago, we were traveling through Tennessee and we stopped at a rest area by the Tennessee River. When we opened our car doors, immediately we were engulfed by this sweet aroma of the blooming lilac bushes. This fragrance permeated the entire rest area; there was nowhere you could go that it was not noticeable. It was such a wonderful, almost fairy tale like, place. It was hard to not want to sit, relax and just breathe in the wonderful aroma.

How do we smell to this world? Is my spiritual fragrance one that when individuals come near me, they immediately inhale the fragrance of Jesus? Does my attitude and actions permeate my environment with the sweet smell of grace, mercy and compassion? Do I create for them an almost unbelievable place, which they want to stop, relax and breathe in something that is so unlike this world?

Yes, maybe I need to go and check my spiritual cologne today.

2 comments:

David Dominguez said...

Great analogy! Likewise, someone with a bad odor leaves just an impression just as memorable. Might be a good test of whether the world is smelling Christ in us, or just...us.

Martin Schmaltz said...

David, thanks for reading. Yep,I was on a plane once where the guy next to me left a bad impression! Literally it was the odor. I still remember it.